Oct. 26, 2012
Media contact: Joy Bell, 404-778-3711, email@example.com
(Atlanta) Emory Eye Center’s L. F. Montgomery Lab, its pathology facility, passed a second monumental milestone recently, that of the impressive number of specimens it has processed and evaluated.
From its inception in 1941 through 1989, the Montgomery Lab saw some 15,000 cases. Between 1989 (at the arrival of lab director Hans Grossniklaus, MD, MBA) and 2004, the renowned lab had evaluated 30,000 cases. As of Nov.1, 2012, Grossniklaus had signed out 50,000 cases, making the cumulative figure from 1941 an impressive 65,000 cases.
The Montgomery Laboratory accepts surgical specimens from ophthalmologists, otolaryngologists, and plastic surgeons, including eyes, corneas, orbital tissue, eyelids, ocular cytology specimens and vitreous fluid.
Virtually no other eye pathology lab has done more evaluations with only one pathologist on staff. Only a few other eye pathology laboratories process more specimens, but they generally have two to three pathologists on staff. Emory Eye Center’s Grossniklaus is its sole pathologist.
Also director of the Ocular Oncology and Pathology service of Emory Eye Center, Grossniklaus is board certified in both ophthalmology and anatomic pathology. He evaluates patients with ocular malignancies and other conditions. His lab is a dynamic patient care, diagnostic, research and education service spanning seven decades.
The laboratory will celebrate this accomplishment with an open house on November 2, 2012.
“This is a milestone for the L.F. Montgomery Laboratory,” says Grossniklaus. “It represents many years of work from numerous members of the lab, including our histotechologists, electron microscopist, administrative assistant, fellows and residents. It also reflects well on the service, teaching and research mission of the Emory Eye Center. I wish to thank each and every member of the laboratory and the Emory Eye Center for their contributions.”
“The L.F. Montgomery Laboratory is the world’s finest ophthalmologic pathology laboratory,” says Timothy W. Olsen, director of Emory Eye Center. “Dr. Hans Grossniklaus has continued to build upon the superb foundation that was initiated by Phinizy Calhoun Jr. with the financial support of the Coca-Cola executive, L.F .Montgomery. Under Dr. Grossniklaus’ leadership and team-work approach, the lab is developing a seamless integration of ocular oncology with ophthalmic pathology in order to provide the highest possible level of care for cancers of the eye. Integrating this further into the NCI-designated Winship Cancer Institute at Emory and the Children’s Hospital of Atlanta (CHOA) creates a powerful synergy for excellence in patient care.”
Grossniklaus earned his bachelor’s degree from Miami University and his medical degree from Ohio State University. He completed residencies in ophthalmology and anatomic pathology at Case Western Reserve University and fellowships in ophthalmic pathology at Johns Hopkins Hospital and the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology. He is board certified in both ophthalmology and anatomic pathology.
Montgomery Lab was established in 1940 with a donation from Lafayette Montgomery, a Coca-Cola executive. First located in the Grady Hospital in 1941, it was moved to the Grady Clay Eye Clinic in 1949, to the new Grady Hospital in 1955, and finally to Emory Eye Center, its current location on the Emory campus, in 1984.
Copyright © Emory Eye Center - All Rights Reserved | The Emory Clinic Building B, 1365B Clifton Road, NE, Atlanta, Georgia 30322 USA